July 2011 Music Playlist



1. Black Trees- Hooray For Earth
I love falsetto's and have always found it mightily impressive to see a man pull them off. I introduce you to Hooray For Earth. This particular gem is the last track on their new album True Loves. It takes forever to build but when it does it breaks into heavenly tribal chants and prepares you for some sort of angelic apocalypse.

2. 1+1- Beyonce
The only relevant member from Destiny's Child continues to leave us all baffled by her range and her ability to create new, and different music, which will certainly provide her with a lasting legacy. And she's not even 30 yet. This song kills me. And sleep easy knowing that all the "You's" in this song are SCREAMED by yours truly.

3. Amor Fati- Washed Out
I challenge you to listen to this song when life has upset you. The beachy, hazy, sun-tinted vibes will warm your soul again. Promise. *note if you want to be even happier listen to the rest of this record.

4. Summertime Clothes- Animal Collective
They are on my short list of bands to see live before my life is over. This is one of my favorites from their 2008 masterpiece Merriweather Post Pavillion. This song screams summer -- in a very strange, psychedelic way. But it certainly does, and if you cant understand the cryptically delivered lyrics just read how beautiful this song is and how expertly it reminds us of hot summers and young romances.


It doesn't really matter, I'll go where you feel
Hunt for the breeze, get a midnight meal
I point in the windows, you point out the parks
Rip off your sleeves and I'll ditch my socks
We'll dance to the songs from the cars as they pass
Weave through the cardboard, smell that trash
Walking around in our summertime clothes,
Nowhere to go while our bodies glow
And we'll greet the dawn in its morning blues
With purple yawn, you'll be sleeping soon
And I want to walk around with you


5. Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall- Coldplay
This single came out of nowhere and placed grins on all of their fans faces. Sounds a little bit more electronic than were used to but it's cheery. Rumor has it their new album drops in October.

6. Swerve..the reeping of all that is worthwhile (noir not withstanding)- Shabazz Palaces
An obnoxiously lengthy song title is no bueno. This guy needs to be heard though. Signed to the Sub Pop label this dude makes truly original sounding electronic/hip-hop. It's dark. It's got grungy spacey beats. And you'll find your head bobbin.

7. Saskatoon- Data Romance
I discovered this sweet little song from this sort of epic nature/bike video. You must witness... (Thanks Natalie)



8. Black Sheep- Metric
She always sings with such ferocity and this was the standout song from a seriously funny movie, the lightning fast paced, nerd dedicated, video game tribute, Scott Pilgrim VS The World.

9. Go Outside- Cults
This song is self explanatory. Do it. Also, jump and dance around for awhile. It might happen without your consent anyway.

10. Ep- Junior Boys
I was stalking this girl's blog ages ago and discovered this band. Thank goodness for healthy stalking. Willi, don't freak out. This is a track from their new album which was released in June. It's an interesting change for them. It's an eclectic mix of R&B, electronic, and alternative.

11. To Build a Home- The Cinematic Orchestra
This song makes me choke up. I think it's one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard. I should have shared it with all of you ages ago. If it sounds familiar it's because it was probably on the soundtrack to a super-soapy, drama-soaked ABC hospital show. Which is not where I found it. ha. That does not sound believable.

12. So Long- Zooey Deschanel & M. Ward
I could listen to these two play forever. Zooey and her partner in crime M. Ward provide a few tracks on the new Winnie The Pooh film -- which looks darling by the way.  I've been longing for more hand drawn animation.

13. Today Is Our Life- Memory Tapes
Yaaaaaa I think I'm neck deep in this chillwave scene. This guy is one of my favorites and he just released a poppy, addictive little album.

14. Fly- Ludovico Eianaudi
For all those who love the piano as much as I do, do yourself a favor and dig deep into this genius' catalog. This song is profound in the simplest way. It hardly says anything but says everything. That makes sense I promise. Just think about it. Not to hard though.

15. Sails- Hooray For Earth
Their band name speaks volumes about the feeling one gets when treating his/her ears to their music. To me they sound like 80's power pop infused with arena-indie rock of the 90's.

2 comments:

  1. You had me at Summertime Clothes. That song always gets the best of me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to listen to all of these! To Build A Home is a keeper as well as Amor Fati! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...